[Gllug] plug / unplug mice without restarting X

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 10 15:36:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 16:00 +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
> > Is there an easy way to plug & unplug mice and other input devices
> > without having to restart X to use them?
>
> I do this often with USB mice and keyboards.  It Just Works[tm].

lovely.

My problem is that the generic mouse device (/dev/input/mice in my case)
doesn't fit the bill, because the pointing devices I use need to be kept
separate (graphics tablet, providing cursor, pen, eraser; Thinkpad
button with mousewheel emulation, used left-handed; generic USB mouse,
used right-handed).

My bitch is with the X server. If I unplug, say, the graphics
tablet, /dev/input/wacom disappears, so X gives up on it and offers no
obvious way to resume using it once the tablet's plugged back in
and /dev/input/wacom exists once more.

cheers,
Tom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk