[Gllug] Linux box keeps rebooting

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Fri Dec 9 00:23:21 UTC 2005

Jack Bertram wrote:
> * Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> [051208 21:04]:
>>Run that again:  1 computer, 1 installation, 5 years, security updates
>>during the entire time.
>>
>>Now _that_ it what I call a reliable and trustable distribution.
>

> Well, the reason I moved away from Debian was that it didn't update
> often enough - for a server, it's fine but for a desktop where I want to
> play with cool stuff as well as the basics, it's a real pain.

I just wanted to echo what Martin and Mike say about unstable. I've been
running it on two laptops for about six months now - having started on
one of them with testing. I've had one desktop issue which was solved by
removing the new app and putting the older version back in.

I moved to Debian from Mandrake (before the merger) on the
recommendation of a colleague and I have to say the first thing I
noticed was the ease of package management. I'm not just talking about
single commands to upgrade a system but using just the one repository.
With Mandrake I had about four repositories going and with that I soon
understood what "dependency hell" really meant.

Ryan Cartwright
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk