[Gllug] Linux box keeps rebooting

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 00:03:36 UTC 2005

Jack Bertram writes:

>For me, it's because there seems to be no decent upgrade path from FC3.
>(AFAICS, you have to do a clean install).

Complete myth. Not only does it work perfectly, IIRC performing an
upgrade is the recommended route from FC3 to FC4. Indeed, RH have
gone to great lengths, probably more than any other distro/vendor, to
ensure that upgrades are seamless. From memory, they say that you can
upgrade from as far back as RH2 to a modern FC or RHEL distro. What
is currently not as simple is doing a yum-based upgrade. The FC3->FC4
transition worked, but wasn't as smooth as it could have been, and
required some manual hackery. But that too will get better in time.
Perhaps it'll be there for FC5, perhaps not. But it's not a big deal.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk