[Gllug] Address books

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 21:11:33 UTC 2005

I've got lots of files in several directories on several computers all
containing names, addresses, phone numbers and email addressess of
people I know in multiple different formats.  I want to consolidate
these into one location so that I can actually find the things.

Ideally I'd be able to search the data, use it from my email client,
word processor, mailing label script, etc.

Initially I was going to stick them in a custom SQl database but I
wondered if LDAP might provide a better solution.  Not knowing much
about LDAP I thought I'd ask here.  I know that thunderbird, openoffice
and various other programs I run can read address information from LDAP
servers but I'm not sure if any of these are able to update the
information.  Is LDAP esentially read only or will I be able to update
the info from my apps?  has anyone here used LDAP for this purpose and
can give some real world pros and cons?

Any pointers appreciated.

JD
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk