[Gllug] Address books

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Dec 16 09:31:57 UTC 2005

Jon Dye wrote:
Is LDAP esentially read only or will I be able to update
> the info from my apps?  has anyone here used LDAP for this purpose and
> can give some real world pros and cons?

There are a number of gnome/kde/php-based ldap address-book updating
apps (I wrote a very simple one myself some years ago). Have a search of
your package-manager or Google/Yahoo. I'm currently using an SQL-based
setup for which I've written a (clunky) ldap-sync tool.

Setting up openldap can be fiddly - it was certainly a nightmare the
first time I did it. It seems to have got a lot easier - whether that is
due to the packaging or the fact that I'm not setting up anything new
just dumping and restoring my addresses I don't know.

The LDIF format for import/export is simple enough, so you should be
able to get your data into your LDAP server simply enough. Most
address-book packages should export into that format too.

HTH
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd