[Gllug] Temping or contracting.

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sat Dec 17 13:49:37 UTC 2005

Moon Watch wrote:
> I am looking for some short term employment in the IT world.  Can anyone advise
> me on the kinds of agencies (if any) to approach.  It there a market for
> short term systam admin or system programmers.

Such work is comparatively rare.  You'll need to have two or three
things you do _really_ well and hope that you kind find companies who
just want $thing doing but don't want to divert a full time human being
away from their regular work to do it.

My speciality, anti-spam & virus mail systems, and mail systems in
general, is one example of this.

> I am also considering selling my soul and doing an MCSE or CCNA as many
> jobs I see so many jobs web sites ask for these.  I am sure my experience is far
> above the level of these certifications.

I wouldn't be so sure. People make fun of the MCSE but, in reality, it's
  not so easy to get. For example, using nothing more than a pencil and
paper, how many IP addresses are available for use in a /11 network?

> Any other comments or advise would be most welcome.

Unless you're really _really_ __really__ certain that you know what
you're doing, do all of your work through an unbrella company or, if you
plan to make a career of it, your own limited company.

The difference is that you personally can be sued for something you do
messing up if you don't go through a company.  It's your house on the
line if you make a serious mistake.

Other tips?  Spell check your mail before sending and get yourself
something other than a hotmail account.  Get a gmail account instead, if
nothing else.

Mart.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk