[Gllug] Recommended Books

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Dec 13 15:51:52 UTC 2005

John Southern <john at sinoda.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> With Christmas fast approaching, I wandered into a three-for-two shop
> (Do all bookshops offer the same thing?) to look for a present for
> someone. Naturally I ended in the Computer section and found a copy of
> a book that I use myself. The book was recommended by someone I
> completely trust and is the Linux Administration Handbook by Nemeth,
> Snyder and Hein.

I'm reading Advanced Scripting Recipes, Chris F.A. Johnson, at the
moment (it was in Ottakar's, and I have a policy about buying
interesting books there to encourage them to buy more.

I'd also suggest:

Pike's Practice of Programming.

Raymond's Art of Unix Programming.

Lundstrom, A Few Good Men From Univac

Brooks, The Mythical Man Month.

These aren't "keep around to use as reference" books, but they are
*well* worth reading.

The O'Reilly Exim book is great if you use Exim

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk