[Gllug] Recommended Books

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Wed Dec 14 11:50:05 UTC 2005

Greg McCarroll wrote:

> On 12 Dec 2005, at 22:04, John Southern wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend any other books for reference on Linux related
>> topics such as Perl or security. What do people turn to to check
>> something?
>

> First off, hi to GLLUG, after a few weeks of lurking this is my first
> post - the topic
> of computer books was too hard to resist and has drawn me out.

Been lurking for a while myself so I'd like to say Hi too. (tried
posting a week or so ago but I was having SMTP trouble at the time and I
think it never made it).

> For Perl, If I had to name just a few,
>
>     1) Programming Perl - Ok this is a gimme, but still its _the_
> reference beyond
>        the pod that comes with the language.

Agree here but I also find myself thumbing through Learning Perl as
well. Mostly because of the way some of the examples are laid out.

I also delve into "Linux in a nutshell" and "Programming PHP" a lot -
although that one is starting to be overtaken by the online stuff at
php.net.

Not strictly Linux related but I also found Atkinson's "Core MySQL" very
good and O'Reilly's "Pocket Regex Reference" is never far from my desk.
At the moment I am reading through (and enjoying) Bill Nagel's
Subversion book - which is available as a pdf via the Perens Open Source
series here:

http://www.phptr.com/promotions/promotion.asp?promo=1484&redir=1&rl=1

> Also, being a bit of a looney book nut I have a 'computer classics'
 > shelf in my study (posh name for our 2nd bedroom), and you can see
 > the spines of my all  time classics in this photo.
 >
>     http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmccarroll/49705196/

Impressed that you have a Classics shelf - as opposed to my "computer
books" half shelf. :o) Have you read all those or are they ones you
"plan to get around to"?

Cheers
Ryan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk