[Gllug] Issues with Hotplug && Auto-mounting

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Dec 2 11:45:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005, Rob Crowther moaned:
> Tethys wrote:
>> Richard Jones writes:
>>
>>> Can you run Mozilla applications without having to install them as
>>> root now?
>> Always have been able to. I've been using Mozilla since M8, and have
>> never yet installed it as root.
>>
> I think the issue is that, if you installed as root then the first
> time you run the program also has to be as root, because some of the
> 'installation' took place on first run.  This affects Mozilla,
> Firefox, Thunderbird and even things like Komodo.

Yes. Basically don't run it as a user that has write privs to places under
/usr/lib and you'll be fine. (Since that user is normally root, doing that
is a seriously bad move security-wise in any case.)

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
 freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk