[Gllug] FC3 Sound Card Woes

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Thu Dec 1 22:27:07 UTC 2005

> Have you also upgraded the kernel to the latest version?  (I mean the
> latest kernel for FC3 through yum, rather than the latest available)  I
> had a soundcard (Audigy) in my FC3 machine which didn't work at first
> but started working on one of the 2.6.11 kernels (about a month after

This one is on 2.6.12

Thanks for the info - nothing is holding on to the /dev/snd device.

Is I feasible to write a simple program to write directly to the I/O ports
on the card and just hose data in there to get it to make a noise or is the
interface just too sophisticated to do it that way reasonably simply? I
guess I should look at the drivers' source code. It probably takes lumps of
data via DMA and interrupts when its done so that's a non-trivial interface
to rig up a test on.

Is any one else here using an FM801 based sound card?

I thought this was meant to be getting easier ;-[

Ken

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk