[Gllug] Linux box keeps rebooting

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Fri Dec 9 08:23:39 UTC 2005

* Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> [051209 00:03]:

> Jack Bertram writes:
>
> >For me, it's because there seems to be no decent upgrade path from FC3.
> >(AFAICS, you have to do a clean install).
>
> Complete myth. Not only does it work perfectly, IIRC performing an
> upgrade is the recommended route from FC3 to FC4. Indeed, RH have
> gone to great lengths, probably more than any other distro/vendor, to
> ensure that upgrades are seamless. From memory, they say that you can
> upgrade from as far back as RH2 to a modern FC or RHEL distro. What
> is currently not as simple is doing a yum-based upgrade. The FC3->FC4
> transition worked, but wasn't as smooth as it could have been, and
> required some manual hackery. But that too will get better in time.
> Perhaps it'll be there for FC5, perhaps not. But it's not a big deal.

Well, the only recommendation I can find is at:

http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/FC3_to_FC4_Upgrade_Process_Question

which says that a "clean" installation is preferred to anything else,
and will be the default for upgrades to FC5.  This is a real pain, as I
have files installed in /etc and /usr/local/ that I wouldn't want
overwritten, and nor do I want to have to manually back up and diff and
check where I need to modify configuration.  Debian update presents you
with a list of files that are changing and invites you to review/merge
changes at each one.