[Gllug] New EU data retention rules approved

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 10:27:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:11:35AM +0000, Anthony Newman wrote:

> While people have argued that you could run an SMTP listener on any port
> to evade detection, the standard in the rest of the world is to receive
> mail via SMTP on a *destination port of 25*. You can't avoid that if you
> want to send email out to normal recipients. It is trivial to route that
> traffic through a smarthost. If you want to send data using SMTP to a
> pre-arranged recipient whose server listens on port 65525, you are
> welcome. FTP would be better though.

That is exactly the point. This is *yet* another law that hampers the
law abiding citizen. I have heard directly from Osama that alKayedaNet
will now exchange mail on port 25000, that number incrementing by 1
every lunar month.

In a worrying fragmentation of Internet standards:
* the mafia will use port 32091
* the taliban ... actually computers are a western corruption, so: RFC 2549

What is worrying is that a law will be passed preventing email transfer over
anything other than port 25, this being enforced by a TPM chip that ensures
that only a OS approved/signed by: Bill G, errrm I mean: large labour party
donors, errrm I mean: large, quality s/ware vendors, errrm - I'm getting lost
please help me out here guys ....

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.