[Gllug] New EU data retention rules approved

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 08:36:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 8:02:03 +0 00, t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk> wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance - I am fascinated to learn that Wanadoo already
> 'proxy'
> SMTP traffic and that it is easy to do.
>
> Surely, if we connect directly to the smtp port of a customer's machine,
> our ISP, in order to 'proxy' has to 'intercept' the entire data stream
> and process it for smtp commands - with loads of customers doing direct
> smtp
> surely this workload would be enormous?  I have always assumed that ADSL
> costs were relatively low because amongst other things the ISP was
> effectively
> just acting as a 'switchboard' and doing very little traffic monitoring
> other
> than basic bandwidth usage statistics?

how so, Is it not just a couple of entries in IpTables to redirect all
outgoing destination port 25 messages to the proxy like many people do with
squid on port 80. If all you need to log is source and destination anything
you log out the header is an extra.

The only problem I can foresee is the fact that there are going to end up
being so many blocked ports that you will not actually be able to do
anything new on the Internet again. Hence everything will end up being http
based when http is inapprate because everything else has been blocked.

Peter Childs