[Gllug] Menu-driven mbox selection

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Wed Dec 7 11:32:08 UTC 2005

I use mutt to read my email through an ssh session to my server.
However, I've always been dissatisfied with mutt's mailbox selection
facilities - too many keystrokes are required to swap between mailboxes
in my setup.  So for the last 3 years I have been using a perl front-end
(which I hacked up myself) which:
- lists all the mailboxes in my Mail directory
- displays number of new, flagged, and total messages in each mailbox
- allows me to jump from one to another by pressing the first letter of
  the mailbox name
- TAB cycles between mailboxes with new mail
- launches mutt on that mailbox when I press RETURN
- allows me to trigger actions (such as mark-all-read,
  archive-old-messages) by iterating through all mailboxes and executing
  a command

However, because I'm an inexpert coder it takes significant CPU time to
poll/monitor the mailboxes.  And it doesn't support mailbox hierarchies,
which is rapidly becoming a nuisance as I have more than 45 active
mailboxes now.

So I'm looking essentially for an interactive, menu-driven ncurses
configurable buffy program.  It should understand mbox format, but it
doesn't need to be a MUA - just a program launcher.

Has anyone come across one?  Note I don't want to replace my mutt/vim
setup, just improve the way I access it.

jack