[Gllug] Recommended Books

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Dec 13 23:07:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Greg McCarroll gibbered uncontrollably:
> 	3) Object Orientated Perl - It spells out how to write good OO code  in Perl so
> 	   hopefully your Perl programs won't become 10,000 lines of spaghetti.
> 	   (No language wars please ;-) ).

Myself I'm probably going to get Mark-Jason Dominus's _Higher-Order
Perl_, if just to boggle at the idea of trying to write programs in
functional style in Perl :)

(It's online as well, but I tend to like these things in real paper
form.)

> Security,
> 	1) Applied Cryptography - another definitive text.

Yes! If you have to do anything with crypto at work, get _Secrets &
Lies_ as well to beat your bosses over the head with. The consequences
of not doing so can be dire, e.g. a password-auth system at my work
which over my protests

- used AES instead of one-way hashes
- used unseeded rand() as the random number source
- took no precautions against people acquiring the password after
  that ridiculous decryption step
- set the secret key to the nice secret entropy-filled return value
  of getuid()

(and then they made me review the code, after ignoring my screams over
the design!)

But don't worry, the organizations using this wonderful stuff don't deal
with more than billions of dollars per day. :/

I applaud the original poster's choice of a book with Evi Nemeth's name
on the cover. :)

--
`I must caution that dipping fingers into molten lead
 presents several serious dangers.' --- Jearl Walker
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk