[Gllug] Advansys SCSI Host Adapter

David Reed David at aliada.plus.com
Sun Dec 4 08:01:43 UTC 2005

John Hearns wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 22:14 +0000, David Reed wrote:
>

>>No, because Rich was right. 'sudo modprobe advansys' produces
>>'Module advansys not found.' That applies under both SUSE 10 and Kubuntu
>>5.10 working with 2.6.12.10-amd64-generic.
>>

>You could install the 32 bit version of either distribution, which will
>run fine.
>That seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
>I hate to say it, but looks like time for a new SCSI card unless
>the manufacturer's site says that support for x86_64 is on the way.

Well, I could get a new Adaptec card, the 2904. for about 31 quid from
Misco, but the Adaptec site says nothing about support for Linux at all.
And if the Advansys driver is not supplied with 64 bit distros, wouldn't
that be a bit of waste? In fact, I can't find much other then Adaptec
cards, unless I take out another mortgage. I will just have to settle
for scanning under XP, even though I find that irritating.

Even though this has proved a blind alley. thanks for everyone's help. I
might not have solved the specific problem but I did learn something
useful and I now know I have not done something stupid.

David Reed
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk