[Gllug] Need spam tracking advice - possible rootkit

Branden Faulls bfaulls at omphe.com
Sun Dec 18 12:43:04 UTC 2005

In the last 2 days I've been getting bulk message bounces from an
Irish domain that are rejecting  mail purported to be coming from my
domain.  Normally I disregard these, figuring that they are purely
phishing attacks.

This particular bounce message, however, contains a list of recipients
that match my wife's address book, or email sending habits.  I'm
trying to track where the weak spot may be in the  network/email setup.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause of this.

Here are the clues so far:
* My wife's  address is the common link between all the recipients
* The outbound sender is an Admin at mydomain address, but my wife does
 not have an address on this domain, nor does she send mail through
 this SMTP server
* The machine that she normally sends mail from is on the offending
domain.
* All machines on the network are Debian (only relevant insofar as
they are not windows)
* My network only accepts inbound connections via SSH and logs show
only my own traffic in and out.
* None of the bounce email addresses are on my own addressbook, which
sits on the same box as my wife's but on a different login account.

I'm not sure how to track this. Could I be rootkit-ed?   Any ideas ?

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

--
Branden Faulls
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk