[Gllug] Ibm T20

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Sun Dec 18 22:23:08 UTC 2005

john gennard wrote:
>     I purchased an old Thinkpad T20 at a Computer
> Fair, knowing its age. I've not had a Laptop before and
> need it only for use at home - the speed (700) is
> quite enough for my needs, and overall the condition
> is reasonable. I've downloaded a mass of information
> from Ibm, but so far haven't found any diagram showing
> what all the 'connectors' are. Can someone shed light
> on things for me please.

Typing this on mine which has been running Debian for six months so I'll
do my best.

>     Looking at the back, from left to right:-
>
> A very small slot,

this is for one of those security lock devices. enables you to lock it
to a desk.

> then what seems to be a PS/2 socket,

S-video

> then a nine pin male socket (serial connection?),

yep

> next
> a twenty-five pin female socket (printer?),

yep - parallel port

> next another
> but much smaller twenty-five pin female socket,

external VGA

> after
> those there's a socket which looks able to connect a
> 'phone line,

yep - modem - V90 I think

  then one to take an ethernet plug,

yep

> power input (I'm OK there),

that's a relief :o)

> a single USB socket, and finally
> another PS/2 looking socket.

This one is PS/2 (first one is S-video as said above.

>     The machine works fine with the AC Adapter, but
> I've no idea how to switch to battery use.

quickest way is to run it without the power cable plugged in.

> I got a brand new CD-RW drive installed (free), so I know how
> to change that to a Floppy drive (if I can get one), or
> a DVD-RW drive. There's provision for two pcmia cards
> on the side, but I've no idea, other than wireless what
> I can use those for.

I have a Firewire card in mine. Also you could extend the number of USB
slots by putting a card in there as well.

>     Windows XP is installed (but no CD), as is the
> full Works 2003. I don't need Windows (she will!!), so
> I'll leave it for the time being and try to create a
> partition for Debian, though as far as I can see, there's
> no fdisk available to let me see the present partitioning.

I had an advantage of it being a clean HD when I got it so no
re-partitioning issue for me. I've heard some good things about parted
but others on the list can advise about the re=partition better than me.
Debian Sarge detects everything great. I also have a Netgear wireless
PCMCIA card installed which Sarge detected fine.

>     Why something so old? Well, I didn't want to splash
> out for something more up todate as I'm not sure how much
> I shall use the thing. The plan is that use it in an armchair
> (I'm getting a bit old to sit at one of my boxes for Hours in
> the winter), or even in bed when unwell.

I got mine on Ebay for much of the same reasons. It's a great unit.
Power control works well (shut the lid and it suspends). Next to the Esc
key are four other buttons. The Thinkpad one doesn't seem the do much,
the other three from left to right are Volume up, down and mute. All
work well as they are hardware and not software powered.

>     Grateful if someone can help - I don't want to shove
> things in the wrong socket and cock everything up.

Hard to do really as the sockets generally take unique cables. For
example look at the difference in pins between PS2 and SVideo.

> Thanks,        John.

hope this helps
Ryan Cartwright
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk