[Gllug] Linux box keeps rebooting

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Thu Dec 8 23:53:52 UTC 2005

* Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> [051208 23:45]:
> Jack Bertram wrote:
> >wanted to be able to mix i386 and x86-64 packages on the same system.
> >As I recall, Ubuntu (and Debian) can't do this.
>
> I run 32 bit skype quite happily on my otherwise completely 64 bit system.
>
> >Anyway, to switch back to Debian I'd have to run an i386 system, and
> >while I'm sure there's no speed advantage to running 64-bit, I wanted to
> >be up to date.
>
> I don't follow.
>
> If you have a 64 bit system then you can use 64 bit Debian.  Regardless
> of the processor you run, you can have a reasonably up to date system as
> a trade off for stability.

I can't remember the details, and it may be that I had a wrong diagnosis
then.  However, I was running 64-bit Ubuntu and ran into difficulties
mixing 32-bit and 64-bit packages, because apt doesn't distinguish
between architectures.

I couldn't stick with just 64-bit packages, because not all packages
were available in 64-bit.

jack