[Gllug] the guardian on the attack (again)

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:40:45 UTC 2005

On 11/12/05, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
> Tethys wrote:
> > Speak for yourself. Yes, I find it to have many frustrating flaws.
> > But it's certainly more than capable of creating some quite complex
> > diagrams, and I've done so with it on many occasions.
>
> Sure, but visio does a lot more than just let you draw pretty diagrams.

Yes - I don't think dia comes close to matching Visio, but it is more
a matter of Visio having a lot more polish and integratration than
having better features.

You get better results than visio if you use the right tools because
Dia and Visio are both general purpose diagram tools. Umbrello is a
dedicated UML editor and so quicker and better than either for real
UML Diagrams (as well as supporting XMI).

The main problem with Visio is that you can't export it to anything
else, it only runs on windows and it has a nontrivial cost.

A.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk