[Gllug] Linux box keeps rebooting

David Reed David at aliada.plus.com
Sun Dec 11 07:47:38 UTC 2005

Chris Bell wrote:

>Some time ago,
>
>On Thu 08 Dec, Hong Chyr wrote:
>

>>Hi all
>>
>>Got myself a nice PC (new!) and wiped off the copy of XP to make room
>>for FC3. Thought I'd be happy as a clam when the machine finishes
>>installing FC3. Unfortunately, when GRUB loads, the machine will just
>>reboot and it goes into this reboot loop.
>>
>>The PC is P4-3.0 and comes with a 200GB SATA hard drive. When running
>>the installation, FC3 seemed to detect  the driver correctly as /sda. I
>>have created 3 partitions: sda1 to be mounted as / (30GB), sda2 to be
>>mounted as home (168GB), sda3 as swap (~1GB).
>>
>>Is GRUB the problem? I can't even get into the GRUB prompt, it reboots
>>just when the words "GRUB loading stage 2" comes up.
>>
>>Help please!!
>>
>>Hong
>>

>   It may not be the correct answer, but the SATA drivers apparently work
>best with the BIOS set for SATA native, not enhanced mode.

Well, it might not be the correct answer, but at least its an answer to
the question, as opposed to . . . well, who cares.

In fact, I have encountered a similar problem with the SATA drive with
more or less the same result. Because I don't have the expertise of the
great and good round here, I came across a solution, but a desperately
inelegant one, when I rebooted having left the SUSE installation DVD in
the tray by accident. That got me to stage two and the boot menu. So, I
leave the DVD in the tray, but I wish I didn't have to. I have XP and
SUSE10 for 64 bit installed at the moment. I did have Kubuntu as well
but X-windows kept failing, so that has been wiped. I had tried to get
into grub.conf under Kubuntu, but the screen failed before I could do
so. Maybe I will have another go under SUSE.

David Reed
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk