[Gllug] Persuading X.org to give me the exact settings I asked for

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Dec 29 20:00:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 14:05 +0000, Paul Mansfield wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 11:19 +0000, John Winters wrote:
> > I'm running a fresh Ubuntu 5.10 installation, with a Dell W1900 LCD TV.
> > The default resolution of the screen is 1280x768, with a preferred
> > refresh of 60Hz.  If you're a bit away from that it adjusts (at the
> > expense of clarity of image) but if you're too far away it sulks and
> > just puts up a message saying, "Change your resolution to 1280x768 at
> > 60Hz."
> >
> I had success with the 1280patch talked about on this page:
>
> http://www.leog.net/fujp_forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5371&whichpage=1
>
> Worked for a Sony T1 laptop.

Thanks for all the tips - I make progress, although I'm not quite there
yet.

It seems that X has indeed got "smarter" over the years, and now checks
out the video card and monitor before attempting to implement the
requested modes.  Unfortunately the i810 video card doesn't list
1280x768 as a feasible mode.

The page mentioned above is quite old, and the link to the recommended
utility no longer works.  However, things seem to have moved on and
there's a utility called 855resolution which seems to aim to do the same
thing.  It's even in the Ubuntu distribution.  If I run that and patch
the VBIOS to think that 1280x768 is a feasible mode then X will indeed
start up at that resolution.  Only trouble is the monitor then says,
"Auto-adjusting" and the screen stays resolutely black.  One step closer
but not quite there.

Thanks again,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk