[Gllug] skype

Robert P. McKenzie rmckenzi at rpmdp.com
Tue Feb 1 15:57:02 UTC 2005

Doug Winter wrote:
> Bruce Richardson wrote:
>
>> Given the completely closed and secretive nature of the protocol and
>> product, how can you be confident that the network will scale with
>> growth?  "Supernodes" are supposed to help it scale but a) how far up
>

> I use skype, and love it.  And I don't care really if it doesn't scale.
> - if it stops working I'll use something else.
>
> Obviously I'd love to use something free, but it has to be something my
> mum can use, and so far Skype is the only option on that front.  My mum
> loves Skype too.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Doug.

I've recently installed Asterisk at home and have been using that with
great success.  Free outbound calls to PSTN's, my mom and other friends
use it to chat with me using a nice simple IAX/SIP Client (firefly), my
mom can either dial my local extension if I'm online, if not she can
outdial to my office or home number for free from Canada.  The server
sure isn't nan-approved for setup, but the client is dead easy.

--
Robert P. McKenzie                 |   GammaRay Technical Services Ltd
rmckenzi at rpmdp.com                 |             rob at gammaray-tech.com
http://www.uk-experience.com       |      http://www.gammaray-tech.com

Ecademy Profile:   http://www.ecademy.com/account.php?op=view&id=64014
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk