[Gllug] skype

Doug Winter doug at isotoma.com
Tue Feb 1 16:09:36 UTC 2005

Robert P. McKenzie wrote:
> I've recently installed Asterisk at home and have been using that with
> great success.  Free outbound calls to PSTN's, my mom and other friends
> use it to chat with me using a nice simple IAX/SIP Client (firefly), my
> mom can either dial my local extension if I'm online, if not she can
> outdial to my office or home number for free from Canada.  The server
> sure isn't nan-approved for setup, but the client is dead easy.

The biggest issue with other phone services is NAT.  SIP and NAT don't
mix too well, and now that everyone is sitting on a NAT network it can
be tricky to get going.  If I'm going to speak to my mum on this thing
it has to be *very* easy to get working :)

doug.

--
doug at isotoma.com  /  Isotoma, Open Source Software Consulting
Tel: 020 76350943 / Mobile: 07879 423002 / Fax: 020 79006980
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk