[Gllug] ADSL problem

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 21:48:30 UTC 2005

On Monday 28 Feb 2005 16:52, Nix wrote:

> Surely this is only true if you can rewire the phone cabling in your
> house at the same time as you install ADSL, or if you're lucky enough
> to have your master socket close to where you want to put your ADSL device
> so you can run an extension cable?

True enough, but it's usually trivial to run another extension from the master
socket.  It's also possible to use three-pair (instead of the usual two-pair)
extension cabling, and use the extra, redundant pair for the ADSL.  Just
connect the additional pair to terminals 1 and 6 in each socket through the
house, and connect them to the ADSL output of the filter.  You can then
connect your ADSL modem to any socket - you just need a slightly modified
modem line cord (with the ADSL inputs on pins 1 & 6).

> In my case, with a pre-wired house, an ADSL router in the furthest phone
> socket from the master socket, and a somewhat battered master soket
> which doesn't work as a phone socket at all (!?), there seemed to be
> little point in going for the theoretical benefits of a master-socket-
> installed microfilter when the practical consequences would be so tricky
> to resolve.

A trivial bit of re-wiring would solve all your problems!

Chris
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk