[Gllug] Serverside Word editing

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Feb 1 13:22:32 UTC 2005

This one time, at band camp, Luke Hopkins (Broadbean) wrote:

> We have a requirement to edit Word documents through a browser.
> One option I've considered is to convert incoming .docs to HTML, use one
> of the many WYSIWYG editors to make the change, then convert back;
> however I'm wondering if theres anything available that will work
> directly on the Word doc. Is it possible to interface to OO through a
> browser?
> The editing will generally be limited to removal of a few lines.

Do you need to support non-Windows clients?  If not, why not go the easy
option and use Word?  Not sure how you'd write the files back to the
server (WebDAV?) but you can definitely embed Word inside a browser.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Because geeks travel too.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

"We know there are known knowns: there are things we know we know.
 We also know there are known unknowns: that is to say we know
 there are things we know we don't know. But there are also unknown
 unknowns: the ones we don't know we don't know."
 - US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfield during a briefing on Iraq