[Gllug] Linux and COM

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Fri Feb 11 18:09:29 UTC 2005

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
> Why doesn't Linux have COM? What sort of alternatives are there?
> COM seems one of the really convenient, accessible aspects of Windows.
>
> Are the reasons mainly architectural, or more to do with inclination /
> history?

I think it generally hasn't been considered necessary - you can interact
with other programs quite effectively using simple tools that rely on
the textual nature of configuration, data and IPC.

If you want something like COM however, it's worth looking at Ice:

http://www.zeroc.com/

and .NET has some pretty nifty things too.

cheers,

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk