[Gllug] GLLUG meetings

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 08:28:37 UTC 2005

Bruce wrote:

> I suppose there is nothing to stop us separating the installfest side
> from the talks.  Or from having weekday evening talks some times and
> weekend talks at others.

Given my current commitments I would be delighted if we had some
interesting evening talks - I would definitely be able to make these -
its much easier to get the family to understand you're out for the
evening to go to a lecture on Beowulf Clustering than to take the
whole of Saturday off.

Personally - my lifestyle has changed, so many casual social / beery
events are less easy for me to make.  However if we had a proper
social bash for celebrations - eg a new kernel release party, a summer
bbq, bletchley picnic - again, that's the sort of thing one can make
time for, and could even involve the family.

Likewise - one saturday every 3-6 months for a really practical event
like an installfest would draw the experienced (or willing) out for
the day.  I'd certainly plan ahead a few months if I knew that on (/me
types 'cal') 15th May there was going to be an installfest.

1) Evening talks with interesting content - short notice no problem.
2) Social events - planned ahead, with a theme.
3) Installfest - scheduled for the year - say 2 or 3 a year.
4) Key thing: planning ahead for those events that require a day's commitment.

> Bruce

Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk