[Gllug] SPAM - trying to block at SMTP level

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Wed Feb 16 18:40:52 UTC 2005

t.clarke wrote:
> Hi all
>

> I have been pondering upon the problem of spam and thought it worthwhile to
> run a few ideas past you all, as I am sure that spam filtration is an area
> for which many of you must qualify for the 'been there, done that and got the
> T-shirt' award!

For a, possibly insane, but very effective implementation, take a look at:

   http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/sauce/

May result in people getting somewhat fed up with the 4 hour delay that it
introduces if it doesn't like your DNS setup, aggressiveness of your MTA,
shoe colour or whatever, but you'll never see another SPAM (or so I hear.
I'm not actually running it, mostly because I have an aversion to TCL)

Even if you don't actually use it directly, there are a lot of good ideas
to be found in there to inspire your own approach.

Cheers, Phil.