[Gllug] What's that network congestion setting called?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Feb 8 09:31:43 UTC 2005

> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:01:31AM -0000, John wrote:
>> I'm investigating a Linux box (running 2.6.8) which is getting very bad
>> network performance some of the time.
>
> What's the NIC?  Sometime's it's as simple as a driver issue, especially
> if you're doing something a little complex on the network.

SiS900.  However, I'm pretty confident that it isn't a hardware issue on
the Linux box because the problem manifests itself *only* when web
browsing from said box.  It functions perfectly happily as a file and web
server giving excellent performance.

I'm now concentrating on the interaction between NTLMAPS and the NT proxy
server.  The problem started when said proxy server was "upgraded".  Since
then some simple external web pages will load quickly, but the majority
load very slowly, with the CPU usage on the Linux box at 100% for all the
time they're loading.  The oddity is that when the CPU is at 100%, top
shows no process as using it.

The further problem is that the protocol used by NTLMAPS (Microsoft's
secure web proxying) is closed and undocumented.  The NTLMAPS developers
have had to reverse engineer it by observation.  Our support's attitude
is, "Works with Windows clients.  Yours is just incompatible." so there's
no chance of a fix at their end.  Circumventing the NT web proxy is also
not an option.  Absolutely no traffic is allowed in or out except through
the proxy.

Aaaaaargh!  I hate Microsoft's crap products and their insistence on
incompatibility!

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk