[Gllug] spam harvesting

Benedikt Heinen gllug at ml.icemark.net
Thu Feb 24 10:46:43 UTC 2005

>> To train a spam filter you have to have spam to throw at it. While it may
>> be possible to just wait for spam to come along it's usually more
>> convenient to throw a bunch now while you're in the mood for training it,
>> than later when it gets in the way of what you will want to do then.
> Training a spam filter with someone else's spam isn't entirely effective.

It may in fact be counter-productive to a certain extend.

> Going out and deliberately attracting more spam just wastes bandwidth.

That's where I disagree. Spammers DO change their spams semi-regularly,
and often that means that the "newly" changed spam has a higher chance of
bypassing your spam filter (until then you pass the spam back to the
spam filter to train it). If you get some duplication of spams in a way
that you have a sure way to be sure that something IS spam, you can use it
to safely and continuously adjust your spam filter.

   Benedikt

--
 	It seems I think I am, therefore it seems I am, I think!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk