[Gllug] spam harvesting

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 10:51:32 UTC 2005

On Thu 24 Feb, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> Chris Bell wrote:
>
> >All spam received here is reported to the sender's ISP and saved complete
> >to a junk file for future reference.
> >

> Seems like a waste of time to me, unless attitudes from ISPs have
> changed radically recently.  Do you not mostly just get a boilerplate
> automated acknowledgement followed by a boilerplate automated "This
> account has been suspended" message?

   Most spam arrives from infected machines, not the originators of the
spam, and the sooner the machine owner discovers that the machine is
infected and does something about it the better. I do not receive huge
quantities of junk mail, much of it is dumped by Demon, and rarely receive
more spam from the same IP address.
   Agreed that some ISP's appear to be lazy, one in Spain did nothing until
I sent a separate "repeated spam" complaint, including their original
reference number in the "subject" line and a complete list of their
reference numbers to date, for every single one of their previous reference
numbers. Even then the number was not huge, just one every 3 or 4 days.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk