[Gllug] Two Questions

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 10:36:59 UTC 2005

Peter Childs wrote:
> Two Questions,
>
> 1. How do I write a mozilla plug in and don't point me at mozilla web
> site its useless, Very badly structured and they don't even seam to have
> any mailing lists only forums that are months old and I never know where
> to start whats new whats old etc etc. I want to extend Thunderbird but
> there extension howto don't tell me where to start. (Maybe a gllug
> meeting might help)

Ignoring your initial comment, there're some pointers at:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/specs/extensions.html

I suspect though that the best advice would be to simply grab some
extensions from
https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/?os=Windows&application=thunderbird
and http://www.mozdev.org/ and learn from the source.

> 2. Which is better 15" TFT Flat Screen or a 17" CRT Moniter, In terms of
> energy usage, heat production, desk usage and cost, and anything else
> people can come up with....

I still prefer my home 19" CRT over my work 19" TFT - both of pretty
good quality. For me the CRT wins simply on resolution/refresh
rate/dpi... which generally seem to result in a better quality picture
IMO (YMMV). The monitor is also cheaper - they cost the same new, and
the CRT is now several years old (and going strong) compared to several
months for the TFT.

There's no doubt that my CRT pumps out a lot of heat, where I notice
none from the TFT; and the former is a huge heavy beast compared to a
great space saving device.

HTH

--
Stuart