[Gllug] ADSL problem

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 07:10:44 UTC 2005

On Sunday 27 Feb 2005 21:28, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:

> Chris - thanks for going into so much detail. I just want to run this by
> you before I buy an ADSL Faceplate Splitter from Solwise. I have a
> cheapo BT answerphone that, since I got ADSL, does not work correctly.
> The problem is that if the caller leaves a message, their voice is
> overlayed with a high pitch noise (a bit like feedback over a speaker).
>
> At best this is annoying - at worst it renders the message
> uncomprehesible. I got the microfilter from Zen when I bought an ADSL
> modem from them (no problems with the modem, very happy).
>
> Will buying a microfilter probably fix this? From the info you gave I'm
> guessing "yes", but no harm checking before I fork out. (I'm from
> Yorkshire :).

The filter might help - indeed, it should help.  The normally recommended
procedure for ADSL is to connect everything non-ADSL via individual filters.
However,  I found that the easiest way was to have a filter/splitter at the
master socket, and run all the "normal" phone extensions (phones, answering
machine, fax) down one set of wires, and have another feed from the master
socket to the computer.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk