[Gllug] ADSL problem

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Feb 28 16:52:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Christopher Hunter said:
> The filter might help - indeed, it should help.  The normally recommended
> procedure for ADSL is to connect everything non-ADSL via individual filters.
> However,  I found that the easiest way was to have a filter/splitter at the
> master socket, and run all the "normal" phone extensions (phones, answering
> machine, fax) down one set of wires, and have another feed from the master
> socket to the computer.

Surely this is only true if you can rewire the phone cabling in your
house at the same time as you install ADSL, or if you're lucky enough
to have your master socket close to where you want to put your ADSL device
so you can run an extension cable?

In my case, with a pre-wired house, an ADSL router in the furthest phone
socket from the master socket, and a somewhat battered master soket
which doesn't work as a phone socket at all (!?), there seemed to be
little point in going for the theoretical benefits of a master-socket-
installed microfilter when the practical consequences would be so tricky
to resolve.

--
> ...Hires Root Beer...
What we need these days is a stable, fast, anti-aliased root beer
with dynamic shading. Not that you can let just anybody have root.
 --- John M. Ford
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk