[Gllug] Two Questions

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 10:33:39 UTC 2005

On Wed 09 Feb, Peter Childs wrote:

> Dylan wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday 08 Feb 2005 23:38 pm, Peter Childs wrote:
> >

> >>    Oh yes the other thing I was intrested in was its a TFT better
> >>for you eyes or not?
> >>

> >I find them much better than CRTs for text work. I can sit and read a
> >long document off a TFT screen, whereas on a CRT I tend to get
> >headaches from eyestrain.
> >

>     Thats intresting, I wonder if any scientific research been done?

   CRT's can collect more dust as there are high voltages around, and they
can also suffer from a defocussed image after a while. Both can be sorted
fairly easily.
   It is usually safe to remove the power and use a little watered down
washing up liquid to clean the screen, but there is always a continual
slight leakage of very high voltage charge to the front of the glass even
when switched off. Leave the video cable connected to provide an earth to
the internal components and earth yourself while you are in contact with the
screen to prevent static build-up.
   There is usually a focus control on the line output transformer, but
treat this with extreme caution as there are lethal voltages around and this
is normally one of two adjustments available, the other should not be
adjusted without suitable high voltage test equipment.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk