[Gllug] What's that network congestion setting called?

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 20:33:26 UTC 2005

Tethys wrote:

> As far as I can tell, Cisco switches are incapabale of autonegotiating
> correctly with *anything*.

They'll autonegotiate with other Cisco switches:) And presumably their
routers.

And they'll autonegotiate gigabit correctly of course, that's not
optional. Gigabit mandates autnegotiation. I know some Linux gigabit NIC
drivers allow a forced setting of gigabit, but they shouldn't really.
AIX ones don't (AIX will of course also not autonegotiate 10 or 100 with
a Cisco switch. IBM put it rather diplomatically: "IBM and Cisco
implemented autonegotiation slightly differently").

Also it's not really possible to get gigabit wrong as the link speed can
be detected independantly of autonegotiation and gigabit is always full
duplex.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk