[Gllug] ADSL problem

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 27 22:58:07 UTC 2005

On Sun 27 Feb, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 10:04:47PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> > On Sun 27 Feb, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
>
> >    The problem you see is the ADSL carrier getting into the phone, which is
> > what the filter should prevent. I suspect that your microfilter may have a
> > tap connected to the third wire, the ringer connection.
>
> so are you suggesting I can fix this with a screwdriver and a soldering
> iron? the adapter is of the "plug-in" type.

   Well it might work, I have been told that it was possible to get a faulty
filter to work by cutting an internal wire, and that would seem to be a
misconnection that could cause that.

> >    The replacement faceplate effectively transfers much of the original line
> > termination to the local side of a high quality balanced multi-stage filter.
> >    Any local extensions connected to the underside of the original faceplate
> > can be transferred to the corresponding connections of the replacement, and
> > you will still have the phone connector on the front.
>
> Damn. The second time (out of three) I thought I understood that, but
> crashed and burned at the end :(

   Both the standard and replacement front panels have a plug at the back
which fits into a socket hidden in the standard BT master box behind. There
are also terminals on the underside of the front panel to allow local
extensions to be connected. The front panel and all, possibly faulty, local
extensions can then be easily removed while testing the BT side of the
system. There is even a notch to allow cable entry. If you report a fault
you may be asked to remove the front panel and plug a phone directly into
the socket behind.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk