[Gllug] ADSL problem

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sun Feb 27 23:02:06 UTC 2005

On Sunday 27 Feb 2005 22:18 pm, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 10:04:47PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> > On Sun 27 Feb, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> >
> >    The problem you see is the ADSL carrier getting into the phone,
> > which is what the filter should prevent. I suspect that your
> > microfilter may have a tap connected to the third wire, the ringer
> > connection.
>
> so are you suggesting I can fix this with a screwdriver and a
> soldering iron? the adapter is of the "plug-in" type.
>
> >    The replacement faceplate effectively transfers much of the
> > original line termination to the local side of a high quality
> > balanced multi-stage filter. Any local extensions connected to the
> > underside of the original faceplate can be transferred to the
> > corresponding connections of the replacement, and you will still
> > have the phone connector on the front.
>
> Damn. The second time (out of three) I thought I understood that, but
> crashed and burned at the end :(

There is a small amount of circuitry in the "master socket" (the one
directly connected to the exchange) on your phone line. This
"termination" completes the electronic circuitry of the phone line (in
very general and simplified terms.) Extension sockets are daisy-chained
to the local side - you can plug in a splitter and extension lead, or
split the connection inside the master box, it doesn't matter which.

When you plug a microfilter into the phone jack the filtering happens on
*your* side of the termination. In the solwise faceplate, the filtering
happens on the BT side of the termination. This means the ADSL signal
never reaches your telephone socket, whereas with the plug in filter it
does.

If an extension is wired into the box, it can be wired to suitable
connectors on the new faceplate.

You should be aware that you MAY be in breach of BT's T&Cs if you
replace the faceplate on the master socket. *make sure you do it
correctly*

Dylan
--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"