[Gllug] Sluggishness and confusion

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 05:07:49 UTC 2005

Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> Peter Childs wrote:
>
>>   Another good reason for not using it when you want control. If your
>> running a large database you need to know where and what your
>> database is doing. If you don't care then fine but If you do then
>> source installs are the way ahead.
>

> That goes all the way from "rubbish" to "bollocks".
> If you _really_ run large database then you go from one highly tested
> package to another highly tested package. In Debian terms, you run
> Stable.  If you're compiling the latest version of your database
> directly on the machine for production use then you're either very
> brave or very stupid. Compilation happens in your development
> environment, not in production.

    Hmm Stable (Woody) is still running 7.2.1 While I would not use a
beta or release candidate on a main server I would also not use somthing
that is 15 versions old with many bugs and security issues that have
since been found.
    True Postgres 8.0 has a tone of new features and I have not got
around to using it yet but, 7.4 has been out ages and 7.2.7 has no new
feature than 7.2.1 just lots of fixes. True I'm thinking about 8.0 and
did test the beta. but I would only use it in a production environment
once its in full release.
    Not to surgest 7.3 and 7.4!

Peter.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk