[Gllug] pci ethernet ordering

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Feb 11 08:54:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 17:34 +0000, gllug at dormon.com wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Just a quickie, I stuck some new dual gig nic's in few dell 1650's
> yesterday, everything was going well and then in a moment of madness I
> thought "I know, why don't I run kudzu, and let it sort it out"

One of the less endearing features of Linux.
The numbering depends on the order in which the PCI bus is scanned at
boot time. So can change with versions of Linux.

I thought that there was a thread on this on the Beowulf list recently,
but can't find it.

On a RH system you can put the Mac address into ifcfg-ethx
as HWADDR=xxxxxxx
though this results, as you say, in nameif being used.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk