[Gllug] Two Questions

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Feb 9 12:25:56 UTC 2005

t.clarke wrote:

>Thanks Andrew for the further info on TFT screens  - most informative.
>Strangely, the specific oddity I mentioned seems to have stopped at present.
>I shall certainly trying fiddling with the cables and see what happens.
>Incidentally, the signal is supplied via a 'Belkin' KVM switch; whether or not
>this has any bearing I know not !!
>
>Regards
>
>Tim

Tim,
  Yes, it could very well have an impact.  KVM switches are notorious
for introducing all kinds of anomolies in the signal and causing
problems from fuzzyness to flickering to complete color shift.  Normal
use of KVMs are for controlling several headless boxes on those rare
occasions where you have to work at the physical box.  As such the fact
that they introduce slight (normally) distortions to the image is
acceptable.  In the case where you are using the KVM on your normal
workstation you will often find these distortions completely
unbearable.  One solution to this is to get a TFT Screen with multiple
inputs and hook the KVM to one and your workstation to another, that way
you get full signal quality for your workstation but still have the KVM
ability.

Andrew Farnsworth
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk