[Gllug] webcam / nightvision image capture

Mike Leigh mikel at hornbill.com
Wed Feb 9 13:27:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a requirement to continually capture images from a webcam and save
these every second.  What I am looking for is any information on what
capture software to use and what linux distro to use.  I am starting from a
clean sheet here and just need to get going with it.  I also have a
requirement that this should have nightvision (infrared) and this can either
be delivered on the same webcam unit or as a seperate unit.  This wil be
used indoors looking out of a window from approx 15' high down to the ground
approx 20' away.

The requirement is to basically dump a series of still images in the form of
epcoh.jpeg.  Resolution has yet to be defined but the thinking is 640x480 or
800x600 to keep the image size small.  The reason for still image capture is
to make it much easier to manage the images that are being streamed as I
don't have the money for realtime video capture cards / video cameras or
even the amount of diskspace required.

I have had a quick google and can only come up with the Windows GUI webcams.
This is not really what I want to do.  A shell script to grab the image when
called would be ideal.  This is I can then schedule and be done with it.
There may be some scripting to create year / month / day directories to dump
the images into for ease of finding but then thats about it.

Has anyone done anything like this before.

Any help will be more than appreciated.

In case anyone can't guess this is a security camera type of project.

Thanks

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk