[Gllug] SPAM - trying to block at SMTP level

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Feb 16 13:04:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:57:31PM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> A number of thoughts have occurred to me as to methods to deal with these
> 'one off' spam emails, but I am not sure as to whether they would be practical.

In your scenario, I would actually recommend greylisting.  Greylisting
gives a temporary knockback to sender/recipient/ip-address tuples that
it hasn't seen before/recently.  Kosher mail systems will retry,
spammers do not bother.  The big win for you is that this happens at the
smtp conversation stage *before* the message itself is transmitted.

I have never used greylisting for any of my systems because I grudge the
delay (and I don't like the noise it adds to the global mail system as a
whole, on a purist-pedant leval) but it is undeniably effective.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill