[Gllug] SPAM - trying to block at SMTP level

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Feb 16 13:16:49 UTC 2005

This one time, at band camp, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> In your scenario, I would actually recommend greylisting.  Greylisting
> gives a temporary knockback to sender/recipient/ip-address tuples that
> it hasn't seen before/recently.  Kosher mail systems will retry,
> spammers do not bother.  The big win for you is that this happens at the
> smtp conversation stage *before* the message itself is transmitted.

Greylisting rocks!  I find it knocks back 80-90% of spam before it even
gets sent.  Though I'd prefer you didn't implement it because once
enough people do it, the spammers will adapt 8)

> I have never used greylisting for any of my systems because I grudge the
> delay (and I don't like the noise it adds to the global mail system as a
> whole, on a purist-pedant leval) but it is undeniably effective.

I use it and love it.  If you begrudge the delay, put in whitelists for
your common senders and lenghten the time it remembers sender IPs.
You'll find most of your legitimate email will get through immediately,
and thereafter any subsequent mails will also be immediate.  I've not
seen anything from gllug ever get greylisted after the first time,
because it sends often enough to stay in the list.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Just because you're on holiday, doesn't mean you're not a geek.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

 "Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition."
- Timothy Leary