[Gllug] ADSL problem

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 27 23:25:58 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 11:02:06PM +0000, Dylan wrote:
> On Sunday 27 Feb 2005 22:18 pm, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 10:04:47PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> > > On Sun 27 Feb, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> > >

> There is a small amount of circuitry in the "master socket" (the one
> directly connected to the exchange) on your phone line. This
> "termination" completes the electronic circuitry of the phone line (in
> very general and simplified terms.) Extension sockets are daisy-chained
> to the local side - you can plug in a splitter and extension lead, or
> split the connection inside the master box, it doesn't matter which.

okay - I think I see where yourself and Chris are coming from. Let me
just show you my situation. It's as simple as it can get:

  outside

------------------------|--------------------------------

  inside                |
                 +-------------+
                 |  bt socket  |
                 +-------------+
		 |   plug-in   |
                 | microfilter |
                 +-------------+
                    |      |
    +-------------+ |      |  +------------+
    | answerphone |-|      |--| adsl modem |
    +-------------+           +------------+

      +-------+
      | phone |
      +-------+

I have no extentions, just as shown above.

Surely in the above case my answerphone and phone are downstream of
the filter and should not (if the filter does it's job) see any of the
adsl spectrum? This is my uneducated guess.

Why does it matter which side of the termination the filtering occurs
on? Does this affect the line quality or my ADSL link?

Why can I hear this high-pitched noise on my answer machine (only after
the beep to leave a message, BTW - the message can be heard on the
callers line undistored) and not on regular phone calls.

Could be my answer machine broke around the time I got ADSL. It +is+
cheap.

I might also add that my phone, about once or twice a day, does a kind
of whimper, like it's about to ring, then shuts up again. Oh - the phone
is cheap too!

Ben

--
Registered Linux user number 339435