[Gllug] ADSL problem

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 10:21:41 UTC 2005

re: Will's microfilter problem
----

Will

Is the only socket in use the first physical/primary socket in the house ?
(ie first one in the 'chain' from where the line comes into the house)

If so, suggest you try and physically disconnect all the other sockets from it
so you have only the following layout:-

       bt line              |----| |-----|-----PHONE
============================| A  |=| B   |
                            |----| |-----|-----ROUTER

A=socket;  B=Microfilter

If the problem persists the I presume the problem is with the microfilter.

Normally 'ringing' is supplied from the exchange as 50V (or thereabouts) AC
with enough juice (a) to give you a jolt if you touch the wires and (b) to
drive the ringer on one of the older phones.  I believe the modern phones
using electronic ring tones do not use the AC to drive the ringing directly
but merely detect it and then generate the ringing internally.  Thus, spurious
AC of any sort on the line, I believe, can cause the phone to ring.

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk