[Gllug] ADSL problem

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 10:16:46 UTC 2005

Hello,

Not particularly Linux related, but I figure someone here may have some
idea :)

I have a what seems to be a bit of a problem with my Microfilters (I
only have the one in use ATM) or phone wiring.  The layout of my phone
equipment is simple, basically the only phone socket in use has a
microfilter plugged in and then my Linksys WAG54G and a phone plugged
into the Microfilter.

The problem is that when I have the microfilter in the chain (with or
without the Linksys plugged in) the phone rings constantly.  Not a
standard 'ring ring' like when someone calls but a constant, distorted
ring sound[0].  This happens only when the microfilter is in the chain.
  I had the same problem at my old house and with a different make of
microfilter.  Also, at my old house there wasn't a problem for about 6
months, but then the problem started and slowly got worse, at my new
house the problem manifested itself immediatly.

Someone at work has suggested that it could be incorrect wiring in the
phone lines in my house, and there are a number of (unused) extensions
present, but in my old house there was only one wall box for the phone
line with the problem, so bad wring was less of a possibility.

I have another microfilter to test, and I am going to investigate the
wiring in my house, but has anyone had and solved this problem, and does
anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix it?

Thanks,
Will

[0]This doesn't prevent the phone from recieving and making calls and
the ADSL works fine.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk