[Gllug] Firewall distro

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 5 20:17:26 UTC 2005

Simon Wilcox wrote:

> I shall investigate the openbsd option. I'm not too keen on adding yet
> another OS into the mix if it can be avoided but if it's that good maybe I
> should.

As I said, I *rather* agree with Tet. OpenBSD is very probably the best
platform to put a firewall on, but that doesn't mean that an iptables
firewall on Linux isn't up to the job. IME it is (the eariler ipchains
and ipfwadm ones weren't IMO). If you want to keep the setup relatively
"clean" by limiting the number of OSs running then iptables on Linux is
certainly worth considering IMO. But I should also mention that OpenBSD
is very easy as long as you read the documentation, which is very good,
and will run effectively on just about any old crap hardware you can find.

I would not for a moment consider running a firewall on Windows. The
only thing that's good for is someone who has a single PC running
Windows connecting to the 'net and wants to protect it somewhat, but
doesn't want to go to the trouble of putting another machine in between.
A lot of people are in this position of course. I generally recommend
ZoneAlarm to such people. This is clearly not appropriate here.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk