[Gllug] Firewall distro

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Sat Feb 5 18:29:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Ian Northeast wrote:

> I've had good experiences with http://www.fwbuilder.org/ and
> http://www.devil-linux.org/home/index.php.

Ah, that's what I was looking for. I've used FW-1 before so this is
perfect. I know *what* I want to achieve but not necessarily the *how*.
This is just what I need.

> I rather agree with Tet, OpenBSD is perfect for firewalls. It's what I
> use at home, on a laptop so old it was free, as was the spare I keep
> handy in case of hardware trouble. Fwbuilder can be used to build
> OpenBSD firewalls too, although I don't, my needs are simple so I write
> the rules by hand.

I shall investigate the openbsd option. I'm not too keen on adding yet
another OS into the mix if it can be avoided but if it's that good maybe I
should.

Many thanks,

Simon.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk